Second Grade Full Curriculum - Boy
Goals of the Second Grade Full Curriculum:
Having learned all the rules of phonics and decoding, the emphasis in second grade shifts to the building blocks of grammar, the structure of our language. All of the previously learned concepts of phonics and reading are reviewed and built upon while the student begins memorizing rules of syllabication, alphabetizing, plurals, possessives, and more. A set of Grammar Activities and a Handbook have been integrated with the McGuffey Reader. Students make a transition from manuscript to cursive writing. The Skilltext Readers, which children love, are superior in developing higher level comprehension skills and critical thinking. As employers of the classical method we cannot begin too early to teach children to think! Somewhat more detailed book report forms are designed to create in the student a love for reporting. One excellent aspect to our spelling program is the weekly proofreading practice, which begins the transfer of this responsibility from the parent to the child. This series is very challenging but is easily adaptable to learners of various abilities.
The Old Testament study is continued from King David through the prophets, this time with an added workbook children enjoy. Early American history is covered through a read-aloud book and the student’s own activity book. The science course focuses on Anatomy and Physiology. In Math students will learn to add and subtract through 3-digit numbers. Particularly noteworthy in all levelsof our math series are the Mental Math exercises. Though the focus at this level is on the concrete and the factual, we like to begin challenging the reasoning skills of a student, preparing him for more complex thinking.Included in the Second Grade Full Curriculum:
Items Included in the Second Grade Language Curriculum:
- Phonics Workbook C from Merrill, includes student book, teacher's annotated edition and a blueprint.
- Grammar Activity Sheets for use with the McGuffey's First Reader.
- A Handbook of Grammar Rules booklet.
- SRA Spelling, includes student book (level 3), teacher's manual and blueprint.
- McGuffey's First Reader from Mott Media with blueprint.
- Uncle Bunny, a Skilltext Comprehension Reader, includes student text, teacher's annotated edition and blueprint.
- Tracy, a Skilltext Comprehension Reader, includes student text, teacher's annotated edition and blueprint.
- Book Report Forms C
- A Supplemental Reader.
- Penmanship C, includes student book, teacher's manual and blueprint.
Items Included in the Second Grade Bible Curriculum:
Items Included in the Second Grade History Curriculum:
Items Included in the Second Grade Science Curriculum:
- Apologia Anatomy and Physiology includes student text, quarterly exams and blueprints. (Optional student notebook also available for a fee.)
- A Beginning Science reader. (titles may vary)
Items Included in the Second Grade Mathematics Curriculum:
- MCP Mathematics Level B includes student book, Teacher's Manual and blueprint.